I don’t like to focus on the negative, but it’s important sometimes to look at where things go wrong so we can learn from the mistakes of others without having to experience those same mistakes personally. The good news is many healers will try on their entrepreneurial hats this year and start businesses around the holistic services they already offer for free. The bad news is many of these healers will end up closing up shop and quitting the business before it can even get started. While lightworker businesses can fail for many reasons, here are a couple of the most common.
A failure to consider the business of healing. Many lightworkers spend hours upon hours attending workshops, developing their healing skills and talking shop, but they don’t put in the time learning basic business concepts. Noone says you have to be Donald Trump, but it helps to have a basic understanding of such business concepts as marketing, customer service and accounting. Business plans may seem boring, but a business plan is simply a blueprint of how your business will run and how you expect to make a living selling your services. There are tons of resources out there to help you get up to speed. If you’re willing to spend money on a workshop, why not spend money investing in a couple of books that can help you make more money in your business. After all, the more money you make, the more people you can service. A couple of books I recommend:
- For psychics and astrologers, try Freya Ray’s The Ethical Psychic: A Survival Guide for the Professional Psychic.
- If you’re a Reiki practitioner, I suggest Reiki Marketing: Step By Step Marketing For Your Reiki Healing Sessions, Reiki Classes, and Reiki Workshops.
- Massage therapists, try The Magic Touch: How to make $100,000 per year as a Massage Therapist; simple and effective business, marketing, and ethics education for a successful career in Massage Therapy.
- Yoga practitioners, try The Yogi Entrepreneur: A Guide to Earning a Mindful Living through Yoga.
- Holistic coaches, check out The Business and Practice of Coaching: Finding Your Niche, Making Money, and Attracting Ideal Clients
What all of these books have in common is they force you to think about the business side of what you do. You know how to heal; let experts guide you through what you aren’t as familiar with.
A cashflow problem. One of the biggest problems faced by new lightworker businesses — and most new businesses for that matter — is managing cashflow, and having enough to see you through the early days of running the business. Remember, you still have to live your life and pay for food, clothing, housing and if you have a commercial space for your business, rent. Lightworkers often feel guilty asking clients for money or setting reasonable rates, but it’s important to understand that if your business has to close you can’t help anyone. Learning to receive money is just as important as learning to give. And learning to manage the money that you do receive is equally important for running a business and running your life. If you have a problem dealing with money, consider reading Esther and Jerry Hicks’ book Money and the Law of Attraction. The book will help you to uncover your fears and limiting beliefs about money and change your vibration so that you can attract more of it — and keep more of it — into your life.
A failure to emulate what works. There are plenty of lightworkers who have successfully built a career offering their healing and teaching services. Look at what they’re doing and learn from them. Network with other lightworkers in your field, as well as other fields to share practices and strategies. Look for people who are doing better than you. While it’s nice to have the support of all of your lightworker friends, don’t just hang around those who are on the same level as you and those who are just starting their businesses. Find a lightworker who has been in business for five years or more and take them to lunch. You’d be surprised at what people are willing to share with you if you just ask.
Lightworker Resources mentioned in this post:
- The Ethical Psychic: A Survival Guide for the Professional Psychic
- Reiki Marketing: Step By Step Marketing For Your Reiki Healing Sessions, Reiki Classes, and Reiki Workshops
- The Magic Touch: How to make $100,000 per year as a Massage Therapist; simple and effective business, marketing, and ethics education for a successful career in Massage Therapy
- The Yogi Entrepreneur: A Guide to Earning a Mindful Living through Yoga
- The Business and Practice of Coaching: Finding Your Niche, Making Money, and Attracting Ideal Clients